Josh Needleman has been tutoring since he was a sophomore in college in 1988. In 1997 Josh became a father and began to teach bass full time to kids and adults alike. Josh is known for his patience, playing skills, and ability to customize the lessons to each student’s unique learning style and interests. Josh is the author of two bass instruction books; “Getting Around The Bass” and “Jazz Bass Goldmine”. Josh teaches at The Magic Flute in San Rafael, as well as seeing students in their homes in Marin, Sonoma, and Napa counties.
Electric Bass Guitar:
Rock, Funk, Slap Bass, Jazz, R & B, Pop, Latin, Technique, Bass Music Theory
Upright Acoustic Bass:
Classical Audition Preparation, Jazz Improvisation, Folk, Bluegrass
Steel String Acoustic Guitar:
Bluegrass, Old Time, Jazz, Music Theory, Flat Pick Technique
I offer lessons customized for your learning style.
Beginning to advanced players of all ages welcome.
– Your favorite songs and musical styles
– Composing bass lines from chord symbols
– Reading notes & rhythms
– Timing and playing in the pocket
– How to improvise and jam
– Proper two finger plucking technique
– Left hand technique and tone production
– Walking bass line techniques and construction
– Outrageous slap bass
– Practical applied music theory
– Classical bass audition preparation
– Playing with a bow (arco) for Jazz and Folk musicians
– Flatpicking for speed and accuracy (acoustic guitar)